Saturday, December 27, 2014

How is Christmas already over...

Hi everyone!

I think this last week has been one of my favorite of my entire mission. I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!! I honestly don't think one thing could have been better, missionary-wise and party-wise :)

On Tuesday, we had a lesson with Henrik, and he has decided to be baptized on February 7th!! YAY!! He is all worried about getting an answer before then about if the Church is true or not, and I am not even breaking a sweat. Heavenly Father has a pretty good plan, and I know he will let Henrik know that everything is true :) I seriously have been so excited about it all week. All our hard work is finally paying off!!! And more importantly, it is not at all about us. Henrik is taking huge steps that are going to bless him! :)

If you look closely you can see Erin's Christmas tree. :)
Wednesday was Christmas Eve! It is called julafton here, and is just like Christmas Day in the US. Everyone in Sweden starts really celebrating at 3 pm. There is a show called Kalle Anke (Donald Duck) that everyone watches, which is just a bunch of shorts from Disney classics (Lady and the Tramp, Cinderella, Jungle Book, Mickey Mouse, etc) dubbed in Swedish. That was really fun to watch! #memories And after Kalle Anke, we eat! We had a julbord, full of fish and potatoes and ham and yummy things, and ate until we couldn't even look at the food anymore. It was great. Haha! Then the jultomte (Santa Claus) came! The family who's house we were at, the Dahlqvists, had their 15 year old daughter put on a Santa mask and bring around presents for everyone. It was hilarious. Haha! After we opened presents, we got to watch a movie (How To Train Your Dragon 2---sooooo cute) and we taught the family how to play Spoons (the card game). Swedes think Americans are crazy. Haha! It was seriously one of the most fun Christmas Eves I have ever had, and definitely the best night I have ever had in Sweden. I am so grateful for members who take care of the missionaries!

Thursday was CHRISTMAS! We were with a half American family, the Newells, so it felt just like home :) We ate gröt in the morning for breakfast, which is basically warm rice pudding with sugar, cinnamon, and milk. Swedish tradition says to put an almond in the big pot of gröt, and whoever finds it gets a prize. So fun! Then we watched another movie (Maleficent---also good. I have missed good movies since I have been gone. Haha!) and did the Nativity and ate and ate and ate :) We played games and finally I GOT TO SKYPE MY FAMILY!!!!! It was the best. I really do just love them. I feel so blessed! There was crying and laughing and all sorts of things and I just want all of you to go hug them for me because I can't. Haha!
 
 


I am so grateful to the Newells for taking care of our missionaries on Christmas day. They're the greatest!
Skyping with the family :) Best. Day. Ever!
 
Yesterday we just hung out and took advantage of Christmas sales, and today we are heading back into missionary work. Woohoo! I just can't even express how much fun I had this week and how thankful I am to be here around these people. Obviously, I miss my peeps at home, but Swedes are seriously theeee best. Who knew? :)

I LOVE YOU ALL!! My next email time is on January 2nd, so I will talk to you all then :) Happy 2015!! Crazy!!

xoxoxo Syster Modersitzki
 
The goodie baskets they gave as thank you gifts.
 
Look at the time--1:58 p.m. and DARK! And the temp -26.5* Celsius (-15.7* Fahrenheit)
 
 
Merry Christmas Eve from Luleå!!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment